205 Longboat Dr
Springfield, MI, 45321
May 4, 2014
Human Resources Manager
Sam & Associates LLP
Lansing, MI, 54321
I obtained your contact information the Sam & Associates LLP job posting on LinkedIn and I wanted to express my interest in the Staff Accountant position. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with a minor in Business this past April from the University of Michigan. I graduated with honors and qualify to take the CPA exam with my 150 undergraduate credit hours.
I have two years of accounting experience acquired through my internship with Grant Thornton LLP where I used my analytical skills to improve cost saving strategies within the company; saving them thousands of dollars over the course of the year. My experience at Grant Thornton has developed my communication skills and has proven my ability to be a quick-learner and adaptor when placed in a fast-paced work environment.
I am confident that the combination of my work experience and educational background has adequately prepared me for making a strong contribution to Sam & Associates LLP. My prior internship experience has shown me the value of professionalism and has equipped me with the knowledge and work ethic required for long-term success in the field.
Please call me at (345)123-5555 or e-mail me at JoeSirenity@googlemail.com to arrange a convenient time to further discuss my background in relation to the company’s needs. Thank you for your time and consideration, I look forward to hearing from you.
This cover letter is a good example for recent graduates who have majored in accounting. If you see a job posting and don’t know the recipient’s name you could say “Dear Sir or Madame,” as well. Make sure to mention specific skills/experience you think are relative to the job. This is your “attention grabbing” letter, if they like what they see on your cover letter then chances are they’ll read over your resume as well. The goal of your cover letter is to get the reader interested in you and what you have to offer.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN WRITING AN ACCOUNTING COVER LETTER:
The key with this type of cover letter is to demonstrate your specific accounting experience and why you are the best choice for the position. This is your personal introduction and your chance to grab your potential employers attention.
Key points to remember:
- Include your contact information at the top of the page as well as the company’s info your sending the cover letter to (if you have it).
- Keep it short, simple, and direct – no more than four paragraphs.
- First paragraph explains WHY you are contacting them and introduces yourself.
- Second paragraph explains your experience that qualifies you for the job or something important you did at your last job, give specific examples (ex. Joe mentions he saved Grant Thornton LLP thousands of dollars during his internship).
- Third paragraph (optional) expands on your qualifications, providing specific examples (ex. Joe mentions professionalism).
- Last paragraph includes contact information and asks to set up an interview or meeting time.
This sample resume is part of the InternationalStudent.com Resume Writing Center.
As a highly skilled Management Accountant I read your posting for a new Management Accountant with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking at Davis Accounting in particular my role as a Management Accountant at Merrea Inc. and I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organisation.
With more than 11 years’ experience as a Management Accountant I am adept in financial modelling and forecasting team development and project management. Moreover while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set including first-rate analytical and leadership abilities I excel at:
- Investigating and resolving account discrepancies.
- Overseeing monthly journals closings and reconcilliations.
- Coaching accountants to maximise performance.
- Utilising automation software to streamline work procedures.
In addition to my experience and personal qualities I have a solid educational foundation and a passion for accounting. I am extremely enthusiastic about Davis Accounting’s focus on corporate accounting and would welcome the opportunity to contribute to your ongoing success.
Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and career achievements. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meet your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.