The internet has revolutionized the research world. Researchers now have the ability to “talk to” hundreds of people more quickly, more efficiently, and with greater engagement than was ever possible using the telephone or a paper survey. Online surveys offer significant advantages for all parties involved: the researcher, the marketer and the respondent. Online quantitative research allows respondents to engage with the survey on their schedule, not the schedule of the telephone call center.
- … are self-administered, offering greater efficiency of cost & time for the client
- … can cover 50% more content in the same amount of time vs. a telephone survey
- … offer opportunities for multimedia engagement, with the ability to present videos, images, animatics, audio, and much more
- … tend to be very representative of most marketing targets, for example: female grocery shoppers
Weaknesses & Limitations:
- Online surveys tend to under-represent:
- people at the extremes of the income scales, both high & low
- individuals without computers or smartphones
- African-Americans & Hispanics
- people who don’t like taking surveys, i.e. busy marketing professionals
For the first time ever, CPG campaign data from three major US brands has been used to test the principle of recency, which proposes that digital advertisements are most effective right before a consumer is about to buy a product.
Joel Rubinson, former Chief Research Officer at the Advertising Research Foundation, Nielsen Catalina Solutions, and Viant partnered to test this theory against three ad campaigns Viant ran for three popular CPG brands.
- The Persuadables, or heavier volume shoppers who are close to their next purchase, generated an incredible 16x ROAS compared to the remaining audiences exposed to the campaigns
- Targeting heavy brand buyers provides a significant lift in ROAS. In fact, contrary to popular belief, targeting brand buyers vs. non-brand buyers is uniformly a better strategy
- The Persuadables exhibited an unprecedented lift of roughly $17-48 in sales, per dollar of advertising
Download the report to learn more.
With questions on the report's research findings, or for press and media inquiries, please contact Viant's Marketing & Communications team at email@example.com.